Sweet Sounds for the Soul

Loading...

G's Favorite Photos

Gwen Sutton - View my favorites on Flickriver

Saturday, April 2, 2011

The Watts Project at Duke University

Last week I posted about The Watts Project coming to North Carolina. Well, come they did and they brought their "A Game" with them.
The Watts Project features: Jeff "Tain" Watts, drummer extraordinaire; Nicholas Payton, known as the trumpet wizard; Christian McBride on the big bass; and Ravi Coltrane on sax, yeah, the son of John and Alice Coltrane.

You could feel the excitement in Page Auditorium while waiting for the legends to come on stage.



We were treated to an awe inspiring selection of hits, one after another; whether led by Drummer, Trumpet Master, Bass kIng or Coltrane Sax they were all great. From my perspective, watching Ravi, was a body in motion, he plays the sax from head to toe, depending on the way he placed his left foot and bent his knee you would hear/feel a different sound and when he dipped low, well, just WOW; not to be undone was the bass man, McBride, he played a solo that would make you stand (almost did and then I remembered the folks sitting behind me) the trumpet master, Payton, with his hat on reminded me of the blues brothers until he played, he's Mr. Cool; and that brings me to Watts, the leader of the pack, the Grammy-winning drummer, he ties it all together. Some of his songs have the oddest names; Return of the Jitney Man, Brekky with Drecky, Dancin' 4 chicken, but EVERYONE needs to 'feel' Katrina James; I did stand up, clapped and a couple of whooos, couldn't help myself! I also sneaked a photo of the guys, yeah, cell phone camera



Props and many thanks to DUKEPERFORMANCES.ORG Duke University for bringing such great jazz musicians to North Carolina.
http://chum.ly/n/7dfa07

No comments:

Smooth Jazz